[swift-evolution] [Review] Replace `typealias` keyword with `associatedtype` for associated type declarations

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Sun Jan 3 18:03:52 CST 2016

Why has there been such a big discussion? I suspect because this is an obvious win. There's less discussion of "should there be this change" and more of "how should this be changed". The relative lightweight nature of the latter inspires lots of input. When a topic gets more technical in nature, those who are heavily invested, with expertise in building compilers and with specialized knowledge of other languages, focus the discussion.

Turns out in the end that there was an underlying "term of art" (or however that is put) along with the descriptions in the book, so there never was going to probably be anything deeper than "associatedType", "associatedtype" or "associated", in my opinion.

Why secrecy? There is none. I was asked to run a poll. I ran a poll using the best information I had at the moment. I don't have money to spend on SurveyMonkey so it cut off at 100 replies. You can't see the extra replies. I can't see the extra replies. Even playing field.

-- Erica, who had no ulterior motives