[swift-evolution] use standard syntax instead of "do" and "repeat"

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Sun Jan 3 12:51:13 CST 2016

In a block of code where errors are only thrown in some places, do+try is illustrative because it allows you to know which functions are possible failure points.

However, in a block of code where errors are thrown in most places, a try block would be useful because individual try statements become noise.

Comments:
1. I was under the impression that the second case was not expected to be the norm in swift code when the error functionality was added.

2. It seems like in either case, a try block would be less typing than a do+try block. I don’t know if this would lead to do blocks not being used in cases where doing so would improve code comprehension.

3. Using try in this manner also has the potential (positive and negative) of having c++ style try/catch, but with different mechanics (as we are dealing with errors and not exceptions).

One possible approach if it was desirable to not have this used arbitrarily in place of do+try, and to avoid looking too much like exception syntax: instead define rethrows blocks:

  func recognizeHandler() throws {
      rethrows {
           accept(.on)        // .on is an enum tag for the token for the ‘on’ keyword.
           recognizeName()
           recognizeFormalParamSeq()
           accept(.newline)
           recognizeCommandSeq()
           accept(.end)
           recognizeName()    // Later Visitor pass checks that names match.
           accept(.newline)

A rethrows block does not allow catch blocks to be attached. To catch any of the errors, you would still need to use do+try, which means do+try would still be used in cases where it was illustrative. There is an extra level of indentation, but at four character indentation this would not make the lines of code any longer (since you eliminated “try “). There is no syntax mismatch with existing languages with exception semantics to cause confusion.

Comments?

-DW