[swift-evolution] [Proposal]: Free the '$' Symbol!

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sun Jan 3 01:53:55 CST 2016

> Swift currently does not allow operators to use $ - I assume because the grammar reserves it in one place: `implicit-parameter-name`.  I don't see why an entire class of identifiers has been eliminated, so I propose $ instead be reclassified as an `operator-character` so it can be used mixed in with other such characters, but prevents the introduction of `$Identifier`-style declarations that might conflict with implicit parameters.

I believe the reason you don't see any other $ variables is that they're reserved for the debugger and REPL.

	brent at Brents-MacBook-Pro ~/D/Code> swift
	Welcome to Apple Swift version 2.1.1 (swiftlang-700.1.101.15 clang-700.1.81). Type :help for assistance.
	  1> "foo"
	$R0: String = "foo"
	  2> print($R0)
	foo