[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Version-pinned patching of public declarations

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 1 14:28:06 CST 2016

How would this extend to third-party libraries that evolve independently of Apple's release schedule and to the Linux compiler?

Is a patch scoped to the executable object that declares it? For instance, if I have a patch in a library, do applications that link against it see the patch? If I have a Mach-O plugin, does it see the patches that my program made (and vice-versa)? (I'm assuming that the patches go at the PLT/stub level, but let's be sure that this is what we need and that it doesn't cause any security interference)

Should patching be allowed in contexts where DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES/LD_PRELOAD are currently disallowed?

Félix