[swift-evolution] Proposal: Add SequenceType.first

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Thu Dec 31 16:03:59 CST 2015

> On Dec 31, 2015, at 1:58 PM, Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015, at 12:36 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>> On Dec 30, 2015, at 3:57 PM, Kevin Ballard via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's sometimes useful to get the first element of a sequence. To that end I'd like to propose
>>>
>>> extensionSequenceType {
>>> /// Returns the first element of `self`, or `nil` if `self` is empty.
>>> /// - Complexity: O(1)
>>> var first: Self.Generator.Element? {
>>> var gen = generate()
>>> return gen.next()
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> I think it makes sense to add this property to the definition of SequenceType as well, so various sequences can override it to avoid constructing a generator.
>>>
>>> With this added to SequenceType, we can remove it from CollectionType, as the behavior will be the same.
>>
>> Property accesses should not mutate the receiver, and because of how Sequences work, inspecting first may consume the first element.
>
> Fair enough. Swift does support `mutating get`, but it looks like the stdlib doesn't actually use this anywhere (at least, in the public API).
>
> Still, it's a shame that there's no way to do this generically for sequences. It's something I need upon occasion. I wish I could actually say something like `seq.generate().next()`, but you can't call mutating functions on temporaries.
>
> I'd be tempted to say we should have a `func first()` method, except then CollectionTypes would have both a property and a method named `first` and that would just be confusing.
>
>> I suggest you consider adding a BufferedSequence<Base: SequenceType> that has a stable first property (at least until it is iterated)
>
> Good idea, though I'd probably call it PeekSequence because it would only buffer a single element (and BufferedSequence sounds like it's got an arbitrary-sized buffer). Perhaps more useful would be the associated PeekGenerator, because peek() is a useful thing to have when writing custom generator-using code.

The size of the buffer is an implementation detail, and I don’t find “peek” descriptive.

> I'll write up a more detailed email with a proposed design in a minute.
>
>> Another related adapter I’d like to add is a model of CollectionType that is backed by a sequence and lazily populated in fixed-sized chunks.
>
> Also a good idea. Although really it could just be backed by a ContiguousArray, those things already grow in chunks. I'll write up a design for that too.

Not unless you want to keep the buffers alive longer than necessary.  Imagine you’re parsing a long stream with some amount of lookahead.  You can scan this collection by slicing it and the buffer segments that are no longer in use will be automatically collected.

> -Kevin Ballard

-Dave