[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Scoped resources (like C# using statement)

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed Dec 30 17:23:08 CST 2015

>> What about this…
>>
>> defer let val = grabOrCreateSomething() {
>>   return;
>> }
>>
>> Seems natural once you learn guard.
>
> Natural? I have no idea what you're expecting that expression to actually do. What is a "defer let”?

I think the idea is that a local variable declared with a `defer` modifier has its lifetime extended until the scope exits.  It is a slightly more compact version of what Joe suggested.  But I agree that it has potential for confusion - it reads like it is deferring the initialization of `val` until the scope exits which would be rather pointless.

I do like the idea of making the extended lifetime part of the local variable declaration but I’m not sure about how this specific syntax reads.