[swift-evolution] rename dropFirst() and dropLast()

Daniel Duan daniel at duan.org
Tue Dec 29 17:39:52 CST 2015

I suppose it’s appropriate to go into grammars since we are in a language mailing list :)

Present Participle is just an official name for “verb in present tense”, as in “I am *writing* an email”. Let’s put the example from API Guideline to test. I hope you agree that “someText.strippingNewlines()” as a non-mutating method name is grammatical *somehow*. So, does it read as

	self is *stripping newlines*, here’s X.

…or does this make more sense…

	*stripping newlines* from self gives X.

?

I tend to think the latter. There’s a fancy name for it as well: gerund phrase.