[swift-evolution] Epic: Typesafe calculations

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Tue Dec 29 10:14:45 CST 2015

FWIW I began a draft for a newtype/wrapper-synthesis proposal but abandoned it due to:

- (a) perceived lack of community interest
- (b) running into *serious* complications around associated types

…note that this *didn’t* directly-address any sort of units system, but would be somewhat complementary (and a good first step in that direction).

The short version of the issue in (b) is that whereas the desired behavior-and-semantics for “direct" newtype/wrapper-style constructs — where `Foo` is a newtype of `Bar` — seem pretty straightforward to specify, that’s not enough; you also have to deal with the “indirect” scenario, e.g. with situations in which `Foo` is a newtype of `Bar`, but `Bar` is also a `CollectionType`, and you want `Foo` to also be a `CollectionType` (or any other similar case).

In that specific case, you *probably* want this:

- `Foo.Element` == `Bar.Element`
- `Foo.Index` == a *newtype* of `Bar.Index` (e.g., not just a bare `Bar.Index`)
- `Foo.Generator` == `Bar.Generator` (I assume)
- `Foo.SubSequence` ==
  - `Foo`, when `Bar.SubSequence` == `Bar`
  - `Slice<Foo>`, when `Bar.SubSequence` == `Slice<Bar>`
  - a *newtype* of `Bar.SubSequence`, when `Bar.SubSequence` is some other type

…and although you can quibble with the exact choices here, the general issue is that it’s seemingly quite hard to really achieve the type-safety goals for some newtype/wrapper proposal without also addressing how to potentially “re-wrap” the wrapped type’s associated types.

It can be done I’m sure, but it’s seemingly rather involved; it definitely feels like a “Swift 4 (or later)” feature. If there’s enough community interest I could pick it up and flesh it out a bit more.