[swift-evolution] Proposal Idea: A way to organize generated interface for modules

T.J. Usiyan griotspeak at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 23:24:41 CST 2015

I only have a  vague idea for syntax but I would very much like influence
on the order and grouping the generated interface beyond what we can do
with extensions.

One idea is to bring back names for extensions (Bring back in the sense
that categories had names.). The names wouldn't need to have any
significance. We could then use the names to create  manifest which could
influence the order of the generated header. Anything not listed in the
manifest would appear after the explicitly listed items.

This could have an added benefit for moving around in the IDE as well.
Extension names could be used in the jump bar and Open Quickly, at least in
theory.They could be completely erased at compile time or they could stick
around, I'm not sure which would be preferable.

TJ