[swift-evolution] Self behaves inconsistently in protocol method signatures

Developer devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:19:24 CST 2015

My understanding of Self is that it is a special generic parameter resolved by the type system to the type of the implementing structure.  That resolution must be invariant because the implementing structure (here, non-final classes) can choose to yank the protocol's invariants out from under you when it is subclassed.  Sure, retroactively, you can make things conform, but you also can't completely guarantee type safety with any kind of variance in Self in all cases.

On the other hand, using the protocol itself in either position says that you only wish to restrict yourself to the protocol itself, not some specific implementation.  You are necessarily specifying an upper bound (here C) on the amount of "information" you can get out of the type, so it is possible to introduce variance because you will never violate the protocol's invariants by returning a subtype with a legal conformance.

Self doesn't mean two different things, your protocol declarations do!

~Robert Widmann