[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Generalized Naming for Any Function

Frederick Kellison-Linn fred.kl at me.com
Sun Dec 27 02:27:18 CST 2015

Given that someView.insertSubview(_:at:) can be correctly parsed, I would strongly lean towards the no-backtick alternative mentioned at the end. I feel as though the backticks end up looking very cluttered (particularly when you get into the double-nested backticks), and it seems cleaner to be able to reference a method as it was declared rather than having to add extra syntax.

In reference to the issues noted with this approach:

IMO, there is already enough syntactic difference between getters/setters and normal methods to justify requiring a different syntax to reference them. For instance, the # syntax could be used so that, button.currentTitle.get would reference Optional<String>.get, and button.currentTitle#get would reference the getter. Or, button.`currentTitle.get` could reference the getter (i.e. backticks are only required in cases that are ambiguous).

I also think it is reasonable to require that in the case of a method with no arguments such as set.removeAllElements, the programmer be expected to know the difference between the expression with and without the trailing parenthesis. After all, that distinction already exists in the language, and would not disappear with this proposed addition. If a parallel syntax for referencing methods with no arguments is strongly desired, perhaps something such as set.removeAllElements(:), set#removeAllElements(), or similar could be used, though I think that the present system for referencing these methods is sufficient.

Are there other obvious reasons why this alternative wouldn’t work? I think it is the cleanest of the alternatives and avoids littering the code with backticks.

FKL