[swift-evolution] Proposal: console input reader/handler in swift

Sergo Beruashvili sergo_bero at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 25 10:09:55 CST 2015

Hello,

As you know lots of online coding challenge websites or University websites require to read data from console ( standard input ).

To read from console in Swift, you could use C "scanf" or "NSFileHandle.fileHandleWithStandardInput()". but I found them very Time and Code consuming. If you check the language popularity in these systems , most of them have simple functions to read from console ( C++ cin/cout , Java Scanner, Python raw_input ...etc ) . It is especially helpful when you have limited time. And it is not only the coding challenge websites, since Swift got open-source there will be lots of command line tools implemented in Swift.

I`d suggest to create very simple functionality to manage console input/output , it would make Swift language popular for solving online coding challenges and for command line tools.

Regards,

Sergo