[swift-evolution] [SE-0011] Re-considering the replacement keyword for "typealias"

James Campbell james at supmenow.com
Wed Dec 23 16:58:19 CST 2015

They are placeholders because in the protocol:

prtocotol Collection
{
  placeholder Item

  func first() -> Item?
 {

Item is a placeholder for a concrete type, at this moment this is a concept
"A collection should return an item of a type" but we don't know what that
type is as its a plaeholder for a type.

therefore in:

class IntCollection: Collection
{
   placeholder Item = Int
}

We are saying that the placeholder should now become a concrete type. In my
eyes associated types are nothing more than generics for protocols which in
turn could be argued is some kind of placeholder.

Associated type means nothing to me, associated to what ? A type could be
associated to many things like a variable, or a generic or whatever. A
placeholder to mean does what it says on the tin. If we moved to protocols
using a syntax closer to generics for classes then I think it would be
simpilar to grasp for beginners .

--
 Wizard
james at supmenow.com