[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Guarding on enum values

Andrew Duncan andrewzboard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:16:48 CST 2015

In fact, I feel the same way too. I have definite views about indefinite pronouns. When I am teaching, I studiously avoid “it”, “this”, and “that”: at any given instant half the students have wandering minds, and if they miss the referent, they get lost. My old HyperTalk habits must be resurfacing with “it”. :)

I still think the use case is valuable as a (natural IMHO) generalization of guard, and feel the annoyance of having the bound variable show up three times and outlast the guard, when I don’t want to use or even see it. Brent’s suggestion removes the second objection and alleviates the first; I’ll see that, but ask if we can raise it. The pitch is:

    guard case let .Succeed(m) = returnsResult() else let r {
        return r
    }

Improvement! The question is: can we reduce this by one or two ‘r’s?