[swift-evolution] Lambda function syntax

Andrey Tarantsov andrey at tarantsov.com
Tue Dec 22 20:39:03 CST 2015

One thing I'm really bothered by in C# and ES6 are no-argument methods:

() => { foo() }   // GROSS

The syntax of C# isn't so bad, though, when there's no return type:

foo.map((bar) => bar.boz)

but those double-parens bother me and my eyes a bit, so this definitely looks better:

foo.map { (bar) => bar.boz }

I think I'd even prefer that to:

foo.map { (bar) in bar.boz }

What if we just agreed to replace "in" with "=>"? Would that be an improvement in your eyes? I could stand behind that proposal.

(btw Chris & team — THANK YOU for the Ruby-style trailing closure syntax, it was such a treat to see it last summer!)

A.