[swift-evolution] Proposal: Enum 'count' functionality

Zef Houssney zefmail at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:33:46 CST 2015

I agree with Stephen Celis that the best names for this (yet) are definitely `cases` and optionally `rawValues` if the cases are RawRepresentable.

Regarding handling cases with associated values where some of those values are other enums, it seems odd to me to try to return every variation of each case. I can’t picture how that would work sanely when there are multiple associated values, such as a case like `MyCase(String, SomeEnum)`. Therefore I prefer the idea of having the array contain the constructor for cases with associated values. The main problem I see here is that the type system (as far as I know) can’t fully represent that type of thing, but I think it’s still potentially valuable. Related to this I’m putting together a separate proposal that explores a bit more on why I believe the enum constructor to be valuable, though that’s in a bit of a different context.

I shared these thoughts in a bit more detail here a couple weeks ago, with some followup in the next two messages:

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001864.html

Zef