[swift-evolution] Final by default for classes and methods

Curt Clifton curt at omnigroup.com
Mon Dec 21 14:18:52 CST 2015

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:
>
> If you replace a method on someone else's class, you don't actually know what semantics they're relying on. Of course Apple code will have bugs in it. Trying to patch over these bugs in your own code is (1) obviously not an answer Apple would support, but also (2) fraught with peril, and (3) likely to break in the next OS release.
>
> TLDR: It's already unsafe to do this with the existing set of Swift features. Yes, this makes things "worse", but it's not something we're interested in supporting anyway.

Presumably a goal for Swift is that application developers will use it to build user-facing apps for Apple’s platforms. And presumably a goal for Apple is that developers help promote Apple’s platforms by shipping apps that take advantage of the new OS features when they ship. I fear that you and others dramatically underestimate the difficultly of doing that. I acknowledge your three points. But understand that we are professionals trying to serve our mutual customers. Temporary hacks in the service of shipping is the nature of the business.

I don’t know how to make the case more strongly than I already have. This thread makes me worry that the team does not understand what it’s like for third party developers trying to serve our mutual customers.

Sincerely,

Curt
Curt Clifton, PhD
Software Engineer