[swift-evolution] Using "where" to filter an array

Charles Constant charles at charlesism.com
Sun Dec 20 00:10:41 CST 2015

Hi Jacob,

I take it that's a -1 ?

I don't quite understand your example, because y in a "for" loop is an
Array. So if I modify your example (I'll rename "y" to "numbers")...

    for x in numbers where x > 2 { }

...my intuition immediately barks "it's a filter!"

    let valid_numbers = x in numbers where x > 2

I realize it's good to have a closure-based solution for map/filter/reduce,
so fair enough that we let the filter method exist. Maybe if I understood
Swift better (is this related to sequences?) this would all make sense...
but with what grasp of Swift I do have, it makes the language feel baroque
to have this "where" clause that looks like it ought to instantiate an
array, but can't.