[swift-evolution] Proposal: Rewrite Swift compiler in swift to get ideas for further language evolution.

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 19:06:48 CST 2015

My code is often abstract and full of generics, but the standard library
code does do several things that aren't the swift we all know and love,
from my brief tinkering I've seen at least these things:
 * It defines public protocols dependent on private protocols like
_MaxBuiltinIntegerType
 * It uses special type annotations like @_transparent
 * It extensively uses macro-like files (See FixedPoint.swift.gyb)
 * The Builtin module, where do I find that?

I think to a certain extent these things are probably necessary to get the
work done and make it flexible, and I'm sure the need for them will
decrease over time. However it does mean that the dev team doesn't have the
same restrictions on design and implementation that we do. This also means
that the dev team is essentially using a different version of Swift and
that will inform their decisions on what Swift needs and how it should be
used.

As for writing the compiler in Swift, I think this would be great, I
haven't read Colin's article yet but it sounds like a valid concern.

It's a huge undertaking and perhaps something that can be done
incrementally by the community as well. Chris Lattner has mentioned in the
past that many of the devs working on Swift would love to do this:

>From his twitter (
https://twitter.com/clattner_llvm/status/613906970890801152):

@*siracusa* Many of us would love to rewrite the swift compiler in swift -
it would crash a lot less, and be a lot more joyful for us.

@*siracusa* that said, we have a ton of other higher priorities that affect
users of swift.  Poor compiler hackers just have to suffer for now

<https://twitter.com/clattner_llvm/status/613906586050826241>