[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Factory Initializers

Riley Testut rileytestut at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 17:20:00 CST 2015

I’m not opposed to assigning to self directly in convenience initializers (especially if there is already support for it in the ABI). My only concern would be that it feels less “natural” to do so than to simply return a value from the initializer. That being said, I think that’s a very negligible disadvantage (if even that), and if assigning to self is the easiest way to pull this off, I’m all for it.

However, should we keep convenience initializers as the only way to assign self directly, and required initializers keep the same behavior as they do today? And then would it make sense to disable the assignment to self in struct required initializers to keep things consistent? Don’t have a strong preference for any of these, but I do think they’re worth discussing.