[swift-evolution] Proposal: Allow Type Annotations on Throws

Dennis Lysenko dennis.s.lysenko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:25:14 CST 2015

Genuinely, David, thank you for taking up the mantle of this problem. To
me, the lack of type annotations makes the error handling painful and I
wish the team just hadn't released it until the design was smoothed out
fully. Those dangling catch-all blocks when I've caught all cases make it
uselessly verbose and moreover do not fit with the language at all.

As for the multiple vs. single type annotations, I do think that you need a
concrete example of why this will be different from java to quell the
concerns of all the people that skim the proposal, don't think about it,
and exclaim "but everyone hates it in Java!" so I agree on the singular
type annotations.

Also, your point about being able to mark functions async strongly supports
single type annotations until we get union types (if ever).

I am glad you addressed covariance/contravariance and the semantics of
function types when they throw general errors vs. a specific one.

One question, mainly to the compiler team: would it be reasonable to be
able to use generics covariant over the throws operator? For example, I
could define a function that takes a function which throws E and returns R,
and creates a function that takes a callback which takes an argument of
type Either<R, E> instead. This would be an incredibly powerful feature.