[swift-evolution] [Proposal Idea] dot shorthand for instance members

Johan Jensen jj at johanjensen.dk
Fri Dec 18 09:00:44 CST 2015

I’m not very fond of having just a single dot in front of the method call,
as it could easily be missed.
In the case of s.predicate = .hasPrefix("abc"), I would prefer something
slightly more expressive.

As it is right now in Swift, accessing methods directly gives you a curried
function back, which expects the object instance as argument in the first
call, and the rest in the second call.
E.g. String.hasPrefix("abcd")("a") is the same as "abcd".hasPrefix("a")

Flipping the arguments like this:
func flip<A, B, C>(f: A -> B -> C) -> (B -> A -> C) {
    return { valB in
        return { valA in
            return f(valA)(valB)

String.hasPrefix("abcd")("a")
let myHasPrefix = flip(String.hasPrefix)
myHasPrefix("a")("abcd")

…would allow us to write the following:
s.predicate = flip(String.hasPrefix("abcd"))

Perhaps it could be extended to something akin to
s.predicate = String::hasPrefix("abcd")

The currying only works for methods and not for properties, so this isn’t
currently possible to express like the above:
["John", "Rachel", "Thomas"].map({ $0.endIndex })
["John", "Rachel", "Thomas"].map({ $0.characters.count })

—Johan