[swift-evolution] Swift 3 Generics

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Fri Dec 18 00:31:49 CST 2015

> On Dec 17, 2015, at 7:57 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I’ve been going through some notes and realized I missed a couple of things when I put my list together:
>
> * access control for extensions declaring protocol conformances
> * memberwise deriving of protocol implementations
>
> I also found an example of the “same type constraints” item I mentioned and it is different than discussed so far:
>
> struct S<T, U> {}
> extension S where T == U {} // error
>
> Are you considering any of these for Swift 3?

I’ve been picking Doug’s brain about this kind of stuff lately.

This one is somewhat similar to a same type requirement making a generic type parameter concrete, in the sense that the number of ‘primary archetypes’ becomes smaller than the number of generic parameters, which isn’t handled everywhere yet. For example, SIL walks the list of primary archetypes in order to map a generic type parameter’s depth/index to an archetype in several places.

With ‘secondary archetypes’, things are more flexible so this works:

protocol P { typealias X }
func foo<T : P, U : P where T.X == U.X>()

However, as Doug explained to me in person today, we’re still not doing a great job here. The list of requirements in a generic signature line up with the lists of primary and secondary archetypes in a tricky way. Also, type sugar allowing us to distinguish T.X from U.X is lost here since both types are mapped to the same identical type while building the generic signature, which you can imagine leads to poor diagnostics in more complex examples. Instead they need to have the same canonical type but still print differently, much like (X) and X, or [X] and Array<X>.

Slava