[swift-evolution] Request to add middle dot (U+00B7) as operator character?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Dec 17 17:50:18 CST 2015

> On Dec 17, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Radosław Pietruszewski via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Although I would personally never, ever want to do this, I see no reason why this character shouldn’t be allowed for an operator.
>
> The question is: if we are to touch this are and extend the Unicode ranges of characters allowed for operators, what else is missing? A wider proposal to fill in the blanks would probably make sense.

Right.  I also agree that adding this specific character makes sense, and it is trivial to extend the set of characters supported:
https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/include/swift/AST/Identifier.h#L90

The question is: what is the right set of characters?  It would be great for someone familiar with this space to dive in and try to rationalize it.

-Chris