[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Property behaviors

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:34:50 CST 2015

Great work Joe! I really like this.

I presume the standard library will come with the existing lazy behavior.

It would be nice to have access the sync function used by Swift 2 'lazy',
but for new behaviors. It may be that the usefulness/consistency of this is
contingent on lazy being implemented only with the standard library (maybe
dispatch?)

My only concern is that it's not currently obvious (without the
proposal) what the type requirements of a behavior are. It feels like it
could have a protocol but probably doesn't need one as it's a language
feature. A badly conforming behavior would really need good and accurate
error messages.

It would be important that these are debugable, and that lldb prints
something sensible when you print an instance using them.

I missed it if it was mentioned, but access to a behavior (i.e. foo.
resettable.reset()) should probably be private by default, and perhaps
allow other access modifiers.