[swift-evolution] ternary operator ?: suggestion

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Dec 17 00:44:29 CST 2015

+Doug for his thoughts on the web page:

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 10:01 PM, J. Cheyo Jimenez <cheyo at masters3d.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Chris for all the feedback.

To be clear, I’m not completely opposed to a change here, but it has been discussed extensively before, and didn’t turn up any good ideas either.  That doesn’t mean that a good idea isn’t out there - it might be a very hard problem (of course, it really might be that ?: cannot be beat just because it is established, and anything as good as it but different would be considered “weird and not better”).

> Should there be a spot on the website or github with frequent proposed changes that are not feasible or that not better solution has been found (such as the ?: operator )?

> I am thinking this would cut down on people asking to turn operators into keywords (or similar ) but still encourage better solutions to be proposed.

I think it is a really interesting idea to have a list of “commonly proposed changes” on the Swift evolution web page, with a link to the discussion archives for it.  While it shouldn’t be verboten to explore an area in the future, anyone doing so can reasonably be expected to read the previous discussions and only reopen it if there is new information or a new idea.

What do you think Doug?

-Chris