[swift-evolution] Spread Operator as Shorthand for Map

Stephen Celis stephen.celis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:18:12 CST 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

If we peel off just the contextual shorthand aspect of this proposal you
> could write:
>
> cars.map(.make)
>
> That does seem like a big win if it is feasible (doesn’t introduce
> ambiguity or cause other significant challenges in implementation).

The above creates ambiguity if there were a `map` function that takes a
type with a static member `make`.

Alternatively:

    cars.map{.make}

Both create an additional meaning for dot abbreviation, though, which is
confusing. I think I'm "-1" on this proposal as is. The existing form is
clearer and relatively short as is.

Stephen