[swift-evolution] Optional Setting

Stephen Celis stephen.celis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:03:04 CST 2015

While I used `||=` in Ruby all the time, where everything can be `nil`,
I've found that Swift's Optional model is different enough that I've never
really desired a `??=`, so I'm a -1 for the proposal, as I see it
encouraging the use of optionals where a non-optional would be preferred.

With the `chatTitleName` example, I'd probably make `"Default"` the default
argument on initialization (and make it so `chatTitleName` is not
optional), or I'd move the `chatTitleName ?? "Default"` into the
presentation logic.

Stephen