[swift-evolution] Remove (!) logical negation operator

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Wed Dec 16 00:19:19 CST 2015

It just occurred to me that there is one problem with replacing "!" with "not":
"not" would be the first operator being a word, which would lead down a slippery slope that I'd rather not tread: would we allow user defined unary operators being words?
I'd rather not as this makes expressions unreadable IMHO. That is a problem I have with Scala: there they often use words as operators which I find difficult to read.
Haskell does not have this problem as "not" is just a unary function there.

So, I'd like to keep the ! even though I'm no friend of it.

-Thorsten