[swift-evolution] Mailman?

Kevin Wooten kdubb at me.com
Tue Dec 15 10:32:04 CST 2015

Agreed, +10

Somebody brought up the idea of needing “yet another account”.  Just wanted to point out that Github, and an it’s associated account, area already required; and honestly who doesn’t have a Github account at this point.

A lot of advantages have already been brought up but I would like to add…

— Being able to filter discussions that don’t interest me
In Github ‘watching' the project means I can get emails for all discussions (issues or PRs). I can then selectively disable notifications associated with a specific thread that doesn’t interest me.  For people who are mostly inactive the opposite is available; to opt-in to only interested threads.  This is something not available at all at the moment; even though my Apple mail sorts nicely by thread it's not the same thing.

— Inline code coloring/formatting
Unless I am missing some great feature of Mailman, this is something that’s a bit annoying at the moment. Yes I know I can got to an external tool and copy out formatted code for my email but Github discussions provide this in a much easier fashion.  We are discussing “code” after all.

— One can make (Github notifications == Mailman) be true
If a person turns on email notifications for everything and they can participate in discussions just like they do now; including reading/responding entirely via email.