[swift-evolution] Getting rid of willSet/didSet

Colin Cornaby colin.cornaby at mac.com
Mon Dec 14 17:05:29 CST 2015

didSet/willSet is super handy for doing things like updating UI when a property has been set without going through the overhead of writing a full setter or getter. It's useful for many things beyond a super class responding to changes going through a subclass.

Blocking/validating changes seems like something totally different to me. didSet/willSet doesn't really seem meant for change validation necessarily, and I think it's mixing use cases. That almost seems like something where you'd want to move beyond properties (Obj-C certainly doesn't handle validation in this way.)