[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Mon Dec 14 16:38:36 CST 2015

>> 2) using ' means that the string contents are unescaped/raw
>
> I wonder if that's too subtle. Like Chris, I would prefer advanced knobs to be (i) more distinctive than ' vs ", and possibly (ii) only attached to the advanced string type.
>
> Anyone coming from ruby would feel right at home, but i'm having trouble finding precedent in any other language for that behavior. You may be right.

Ruby copied this feature from Perl, which copied it from Unix shells. (I will not attempt to untangle the history of Unix shells in order to figure out which one invented this.) I’m not necessarily saying it’s a good idea, but programming systems have been doing this for at least thirty years, and likely forty or more. There’s ample precedent.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies