[swift-evolution] Streamlining closures

Etan Kissling kissling at oberon.ch
Mon Dec 14 06:33:34 CST 2015

Problem is that without the `in` you could conflict with custom defined operators.

Right now, you can go with

[1, 2, 3, 4, 5].map {
    $0 + 1
}

Now assume a world where a user defined a custom postfix . or | operator.

var error = ""
someAsyncFunction() { error .
    // body
}

Is the "error" a named variable inside the closure, or the one used in the outer scope?

Is the . our custom postfix operator, or is it the delimiter between the argument list and the body?

With `in`, this problem cannot occur, as `in` cannot be used as an identifier.

Also don't forget about the whole mess when it starts with capture lists and explicit return type.

someAsyncFunction() { [capture list] (arg1: Arg1Type, arg2: Arg2Type, arg3: Arg3Type) -> ReturnType in
    // ...
}

Etan