[swift-evolution] Is there a need for a BigNumber library in Objective-C/Swift?

Etan Kissling kissling at oberon.ch
Mon Dec 14 05:25:51 CST 2015

Depends on what you want to achieve.

If it's really used for math, then yes, it's great to have such a library available.
Not many "real" use cases, though, imo, to warrant putting it into the core library atm.

For finance, I guess that's what's `NSDecimalNumber` is for.
This class is not that nice to use from Swift, though.

For crypto, you don't want to use a common BigInt library.
- The library doesn't provide any security guarantees. e.g. when buffers are cleared etc.
- Crypto typically involves fixed sizes (e.g. 256-bit). With common BigInts, you lose performance.
- Crypto is not possible to be implemented securely in pure Swift 2.
  The language lacks annotations to prevent compiler optimisations on a fine-grained level.
  i.e. timing invariance of comparisons etc is not guaranteed / no control about caching behaviour.
  Need to do that in Assembly to be safe against side channel attacks.
  Even with Assembly, you may lose to CPU microcode optimisations. Out of scope, though.