[swift-evolution] STL (not!) (was: Proposal: An Either Type in the STL)

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Mon Dec 14 03:06:38 CST 2015

> On Dec 9, 2015, at 3:06 PM, Developer via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> It’s high time the STL admitted some kind of disjoint union type…

Friends,

The STL <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Template_Library> is a hugely influential and important effort, but it is not the Swift standard library.  We don't want to be seen as either co-opting the name or taking credit for its design, nor do we want to sell short the unique strengths of Swift's own standard library by letting it be confused with that other body of work.  My humble request is that, if we want to use a short name to refer to the Swift standard library, we choose a different one.  "Stdlib" seems workable and precedented in our source directory layout, for example.

Thanks,
-Dave