[swift-evolution] ASCIIString

Paul Cantrell cantrell at pobox.com
Sun Dec 13 16:00:58 CST 2015

I hit a related problem here:

https://github.com/bustoutsolutions/siesta/blob/master/Source/Resource.swift#L427 <https://github.com/bustoutsolutions/siesta/blob/master/Source/Resource.swift#L427>

I know I have an ASCII-only string because I’ve just applied escaping, but still have to force-unwrap the result of dataUsingEncoding(NSASCIIStringEncoding). Annoying!

However, I’m not sure that a new type would be a good way to solve this. A string may have many attributes that make it suitable or unsuitable for use in different situations: single line, valid identifier in a given language, no surrogate chars, no spaces … plus, of course, “valid in encoding X” for every encoding.

Handling these cases via the type system would result in a combinatorial explosion of API methods like dataUsingEncoding.

IMO, this is a perfect example of where force unwrapping is the right tool: I’m able to make guarantees about the correctness of the code that the compiler can’t verify. I’m OK with that.

If there’s a compelling use case for ASCIIString, it’s performance. In that case, I wonder whether:

• perhaps this would better be implemented as a set of extension methods on [UInt8] that do string-like things, instead of being a separate type, and

• perhaps String could — or already does — provide internal optimizations when the string is internally representable as single-byte chars.

Cheers, P