[swift-evolution] ternary operator ?: suggestion

Marc Knaup marc at knaup.koeln
Sun Dec 13 09:09:21 CST 2015

Using fully-fledged if/switch-statements as expressions is another proposal
and discussion (which already exists).

The replacement of the ternary operator should be just syntactic sugar for
the other proposal to have a shorter version of "let x = if a {} else {}".

Regarding the "then" keyword:
What about "do"?

let x = if a do b else c

Yes, it reads a bit weird, but as if & switch statements are moving towards
being expressions already then "do" blocks will likely too.

So the above example would just be another shortcut for

let x = if a { do { b } } else { c }