[swift-evolution] access control proposal

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Dec 12 17:20:19 CST 2015

> I mean, I don't know about you, but I get called in to look at projects regularly that have a MainViewController.swift that weighs 10KLOC.  I didn't write it.  I didn't make the mess.  I just want tools to help me clean it up.  'private' is useless in that context, and it's a (sadly) typical context in iOS.

+1.  Messes like this are all too common in the real world.

Even worse, they often involve poorly thought out uses of uses of inheritance.  We need tools to help clean them up and also a language designed to make it more difficult to unintentionally create them in the first place.  This is a very non-trivial part of the argument for making final the default IMO.

Matthew