[swift-evolution] ternary operator ?: suggestion

Andrey Tarantsov andrey at tarantsov.com
Sat Dec 12 14:37:13 CST 2015

1. I would really hate to explain to someone when if needs a then and when it doesn't. That's the sort of inconsistency that shouldn't be added lightly.

2. As for

	if cond (then-expr) (else-expr)

— this is definitely unreadable, and will cause problems. Even right now, if syntax vs expression syntax is ambiguous:

	if let foo = foos.filter { $0.isBar } {

3. If we can somehow solve all of this, I think I'll be +1 for replacing (A ? B : C) with some sort of (if A then B else C).

4. Generally, I wonder how hard would it be for all statements to be usable as expressions? Why didn't Swift go that way from the start?

A.