[swift-evolution] Should we consider Swift improvements for indie solo programmers?

Al Skipp al_skipp at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 12 11:18:15 CST 2015

You’re not going to find me arguing with John Carmack! But I don’t think his argument was suggesting long functions are a panacea. If you’re dealing with lots of mutable state, it’s perhaps not a bad idea to do that all in one place. If possible, have less mutable state ; )

Incidentally, he’s since warmed to the idea of a functional approach being practical:
http://functionaltalks.org/2013/08/26/john-carmack-thoughts-on-haskell/

Regarding Swift, it can't attempt to support every syntactic construct. It’s great that everyone can now make their proposals for what they think is important. The difficulty is how to juggle all these different proposals, good luck Apple folk!