[swift-evolution] Proposal: Auto-convert for numbers when safe

Manav Gabhawala manav1907 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 02:03:23 CST 2015

 Thanks for your feedback Doug.

With regards to your first concern, I think that we won't actually lose any
symmetry because if the user actually wants backward conversions they will
define it themselves and so we won't ever have the case where we are giving
this behavior for "free" and so the compiler will only have to do a one
level check of an implicit conversion. And while we want to support the
castingFrom implicit initializer (which can be failable if need be) it will
always be user defined and never generated by a protocol extension or the
compiler so things will still be Swifty.

>From a technical standpoint I can't say much because I have no compiler
experience whatsoever (yet). But I can see how this might mess around with
the type checker and I can understand why this might be too difficult to
implement for swift 3. However, I strongly believe the current numbers
model of explicit conversion is too verbose and very non swift like. One of
the biggest problems is the way that Int types are imported from C
libraries and you have to keep converting back and forth between for
example a UInt32 and an Int or something similar. Would you be open to
restricting the feature to only work with number types and "hard code" that
behavior into the compiler for swift 3 or do you think that's something we
should not proceed with, or have a different solution for solving the
numbers problem?

Regards,
Manav Gabhawala