[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals

Alex Gordon alextgordon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 01:02:18 CST 2015

What is the reason that normal strings "..." don't support newlines? It's
not traditionally seen in C-inspired languages, but it's hardly unusual
outside that sphere[*]. Ruby and HTML are probably the most common
examples, but apparently OCaml and Lisps also allow it?

Then we can simply use

1. "..." strings as the verbatim literal, preserving indentation and
leading newlines as written.

2. """...""" strings as the non-verbatim literal, reducing indentation to
that of the least indented line, and removing the leading newline if it
exists.

[*] As seen earlier
http://rigaux.org/language-study/syntax-across-languages.html#StrngMltLine