[swift-evolution] Swift 3 Generics

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Fri Dec 11 23:24:21 CST 2015

> On Dec 10, 2015, at 3:45 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> One of the stated focus areas for Swift 3 is to complete the generics system.
>
> How far along is the design for the “complete” generics system?

There’s a loose shared understanding of the pieces we need among the compiler and standard library developers that have been co-evolving the generics system, but it’s not written down in any single place.

> Is there appetite among the core team to involve the community in evaluating planned features or submitting proposals to complement existing plans?

Yes, absolutely. I feel like we (the core team) need to articulate our vision here—what we feel we need to accomplish (in features, in the standard library API, in the implementation) in Swift 3 vs. what we believe we can introduce later on, how the pieces all fit together, etc.—to help facilitate those discussions.

> Also, is there any documentation other than https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/Generics.rst <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/Generics.rst> describing in detail what the complete vision for the generics system is and what new features will be added in Swift 3 (as well as any generics features that have been decided against for Swift or version 3 specifically)?

No, that document is the best overall documentation for the vision of the generics system, despite being mostly untouched for more than two years and lacking newer features (protocol extensions, anyone?).

So, we need to write up a document describing our vision here. It’s going to take a little time, both because it’s a nontrivial task and because the likely principal authors are also engaged in other large Swift 3 tasks (e.g., https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0005-objective-c-name-translation.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0005-objective-c-name-translation.md>)

	- Doug