[swift-evolution] Proposal: newtype feature for creating brand new types from existing types

Gwendal Roué gwendal.roue at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:30:46 CST 2015

Considering the number of times I’ve read about this topic in other languages, I must agree :-)

Yet there are two difficulties:

First, what does Bar get from Double ?

When you say "after creating Bar, I can extend Bar independenly of Double", the problem lies in the meaning of "after". In a language like Ruby, there is an "after", but there is no such clear thing in Swift: modules/packages are compiled as a whole, and module A can extend a type defined the the module B.

More, let’s see what happens below:

1	let d: Double = 1.0
2	let b: Bar = d			// Compiler error, I presume.
3	let b: Bar = Bar(d)		// Mandatory so that Bar can be put to any use
4	let b: Bar = 1.0

That point 4 is tricky.

If it is not an error, then 2. should succeed as well, don’t you think?
If it is an error, then one may want to add FloatLiteralConvertible to Bar. Oops, Double already implements it.

Hm. I’m afraid I haven’t found the solution :-)

Gwendal Roué