[swift-evolution] Swift 3 Generics

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:28:24 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> +1 to this. I would really like to see what is and isn't in scope for
> Swift 3's generics system. Among other things, it would help focus the
> community's proposals and ideas for the evolution of the type system. An
> example, people have expressed interest in HKTs, and perhaps a discussion
> can be opened on how Swift 3's type system can lay the foundation for
> further changes.

As far as I understand, the first priority is not fixing issues in the
current type checker and runtime for existing generics features (e.g.,
implement recursive generic constraints to eliminate protocol Indexable
from the standard library), and incremental improvements for the current
generics system that allow the standard library to properly express and
constrain existing concepts -- like 'where' constraints on associated types.

Dmitri