[swift-evolution] Enforcing guidelines

Steven Van Impe steven.vanimpe at icloud.com
Thu Dec 10 02:45:48 CST 2015

Has any thought been given to making some of the design guidelines required by the compiler, instead of just guidelines? One guideline in particular I am thinking of is:

"Follow case conventions: names of types, protocols and enum cases are UpperCamelCase. Everything else is lowerCamelCase.”

As a teacher, I have to remind my students of this convention several times a day, mostly because students learn and use different languages (with different conventions) at the same time. After nil unwrapping, inconsistent casing is probably the #2 source of bugs my students write.

---
Steven Van Impe
Lecturer @ University College Ghent, Belgium
@svanimpe