[swift-evolution] Remove default case in switch-case

Mustafa Yusuf mustafa at mustafayusuf.co
Wed Dec 9 17:01:54 CST 2015

Hello all. In switch statements in swift if all the possible cases aren't covered we have to supply a default case.

    let number = 10

    switch number {

    case 10: print("yay")

    case 12: print("close")

    default: print("try again")
    }

My proposal is replace it with the "case _:".

    let number = 10

    switch number {

    case 10: print("yay")

    case 12: print("close")

    case _: print("try again")

    }

Since underscore in swift means "whatever I don't care" it suits here better than "default". Correct me If I am wrong but this is the only use for "default" keyword in swift I guess. So we can completely remove "default" keyword from the language.