[swift-evolution] List of all Enum values (for simple enums)

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Wed Dec 9 15:40:03 CST 2015

> On Dec 9, 2015, at 12:06 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> The number of times the enumeration value name is needed at runtime is just too great.
>
> Everything is string-convertible; no need to force Enumerable implementations to provide custom printing implementations.

Per my email on this thread, the one case which might be worth handling is enums with String raw values. However, a String-backed enum is not necessarily the same as in other languages where annotations/attributes are used to indicate a representation name for the enumerated value, so this would likely need to be a behavior one could either opt into or out of.

-DW