[swift-evolution] Swift Core Crypto

Travis Beech tbeech at unwiredrevolution.com
Wed Dec 9 11:21:25 CST 2015

I know this is not in scope for Swift 3.0 but has there been any talk about including cryptographic APIs into the core language runtime? In my opinion this has been a serious deficit of the language so far, many other languages include cryptographic APIs  as part of their runtime. Developers need libraries they can trust when it comes to crypto, and using some third party library found on Github I don’t think is a good solution. Bridging in the C based CommonCrypto is a workaround but adds complexity especially when you’re trying to build a framework to be used by others.

Travis Beech | Principal Developer | Unwired Revolution
Optimizing Operations for Mobile and Distributed Systems