[swift-evolution] ? suffix for <, >, =?utf-8?Q?<=3D=2C >=3D_?=comparisons with optionals to prevent subtle bugs

Lucas Derraugh lucas.derraugh at me.com
Wed Dec 9 05:31:54 CST 2015

This is related to a question I asked on SO a while back: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26172911/swift-nil-has-a-numeric-value

Seems that many others have had confusion with the same problem, and it can sneak into your code without being aware of it. The simple case that I ran into was comparing an Optional Int to an Int. It is a very subtle bug and one that I don’t think should be allowed to occur. To me the intent isn't clear in this situation. I don’t think nil should be considered true or false if compared against. The only alternative I can think of is if comparing anything to a nil value, the result would be false; this would probably still lead to unexpected behavior though.

Lucas Derraugh
lucas.derraugh at me.com
607-793-3517